Consecrated and opened on 6 October 1842, this 123 feet long stone church could seat 344 in its gallery and 616 in "neat open seats" in the nave.
Designed by the architect Henry Isaac Stevens, the architectural style is Early English. With a high pitched roof there is a chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles to north and south, vestry and a large west end pinnacled tower with a clock and bell.
The interior of the church has changed considerably since it was built, as there have been restorations and additions at various times.
As well as the richly carved mid-12th century font from the old Lenton Priory, Holy Trinity is also noteable for:
- The beautiful and unique east window, which commemorates Holy Trinity’s founder, Francis Wright
- The Boer War windows, established as a memorial that would speak ‘to the hearts of all’
- Memorials and family links to Nottingham’s WW1 flying ace, Albert Ball, nursing heroine Dorothea Crewdson, and prominent Nottingham suffragette Helen Watts
For several years after the erection of the Church the east end of the Chancel was partitioned off and used as a vestry, but in 1862 the partition was removed and a vestry was built on the south side of the Chancel. This alteration brought to view the reredos, erected in 1858 at a cost of £43. Executed in Ancaster stone, it bore the Lord's prayer and Creed in gold upon panels of glass; the Agnus Dei being carved in the middle.
The present reredos in the church was given by W.G. Player Esquire in 1911. It is executed in mosaic work and green and gold glazed tiles, and bears the figure of Christ, surroinded by four angels and holding the chalice with the Cross in the background.
The reredos is surrounded by a marble border on which runs the text from the communion cervice "If any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous, and He is the Propitiation for our Sins?"
All the windows of Holy Trinity were initially glazed with plain glass. It was only gradually over a period of some sixty years that the church gained its collection of stained glass memorials.
Memorials and Tablets
- George Browne (1886; former vicar)
- Elizabeth Anne Browne (1870; wife of George Browne)
- Francis Browne (1879)
- Browne children (William John (1858), Edward (1842), James Peter (1844), Denis George(1848))
- Joseph & Ann Fenton (1853)
- Albert Ball (1917)
- Alice Stickley Linsley (1920)
- Gwendoleyn Hollick (1904)
- Thomas (1873) & Lucy (1874) Adams
- James Harvey (1910)
- Rainald JR Skipper (1954; former vicar)
- Hilda Dorothy Price (1913; daughter of Frederick Wright)
- Frederick Wright (1916) & his wife Ada Joyce (1920)
- John (1840) & Elizabeth (1833) Wright & children
- Lesley Stanley (1903)
- Annie Mary Bradley Bayley (1904)
- Henry Crewdson (1924) & his wife Margaret Croom (1926)
- Dorothea Crewdson (1919)